Individual Savings Account
What is an Individual Savings Account (ISA)?
Anyone, who is an income tax payer and has some money to save or invest, should know about Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs). ISAs are wrappers within which a wide range of savings and investment products can be held, free of UK income and Capital Gains Tax (CGT) by anyone aged 18 or over (16 or over for cash ISAs).
ISAs allow individuals to invest up to maximum limits (by way of regular or single amounts) each tax year in a range of savings and investments and pay no personal tax at all, on the income and/or profits received.
The main ISA benefits are:
- No personal tax (income or capital gains) on any investments held within an ISA.
- Income and gains from ISAs do not need to be included in tax returns.
- Money can be withdrawn from an ISA at any time without losing the tax breaks.
The main types of ISA's avaialbe are:
- Stocks & Shares ISA's are in the form of either individual shares or bonds, or pooled investments such as open-ended investment funds, investment trusts or life assurance investments.
- Cash ISA's are usually contained in a bank or building society savings account.
- Innovative Finance ISA's are in the form of loans made through peer-to-peer (P2P) platforms.
- Lifetime (LISA) are for those aged between 18 and 40 to help save them up for their first home or retirement.
- Help to Buy ISA's although closed to new to accounts since 30th November 2019, are aimed at helping first time buyers to save for their mortgage deposit. Savings can continue into existing plans until November 2029. It is not possible to subscribe to both a cash and a Help to Buy ISA in the same tax year.
Find out more in our Individual Savings Account (ISA) Guide
Independent Financial Advice
Speak to a fully qualified and independent
Invest Southwest adviser today.
Call 01823 353970
Find out more about alternative ISA's in our Guide's
Lifetime Individual Savings Account (LISA)
LISAs are designed to help people aged between 18 and 40 save up for their first home or retirment.Read more
Junior Individual Savings Account (JISA)
All UK resident children under the age of 18 who do not have a Child Trust Fund are eligible for JISAs.Read more
Bed & ISA (Individual Savings Account)
A bed and ISA is where an investment is sold and then bought back within an ISA.Read more
Why choose Invest Southwest for your ISA Advice?
- We have a team of fully qualified and independent financial experts
- We are highly recommended by our clients
- We deal with a wide range of products
- Our initial consultation is FREE
Call 01823 353970 to find out more
"I would recommend Invest Southwest to anyone who needed financial advice and guidance. They will give a honest and real solutions to your individual requirements."
Latest Savings Articles
‘Flip the context’ and protect your hard-earned cash
Pension savers lost more than £2m to scammers in ...
Grandparents increased generosity during the pandemic
Most grandparents are familiar with the financial challenges faced by ...
‘Cash is king’ mentality could prove costly
For many years, savers have seen cash as a safe, ...
UK investors plan to continue lockdown habits
During the pandemic, many people have been able to significantly ...
Independent Savings & Investment Advice
The Financial Conduct Authority does not regulate tax advice.
The value of investments can fall as well as rise. You may get back less than you invest.