It’s been two years since the government introduced pension freedoms, greatly expanding the options for how those who have saved into a defined contribution pension product can access their savings. There are now a number of different ways to take advantage of pension freedoms, so let’s have a look at each of them and the potential advantages and disadvantages of each.
If you can afford to do so, choosing not to access your pension at 55 can be one of the most beneficial options to take. You can continue saving into your pension if you want to, enjoying tax relief on all contributions until you turn 75. This also applies to any further gains you might make by leaving your pension pot invested. The main drawback is that you won’t be able to use your pension to support you, perhaps delaying your ability to retire. However, with many people choosing to continue working beyond the traditional retirement age, either part-time or full-time, this option is becoming increasingly popular.
The introduction of pension freedoms meant that everyone is entitled to take a tax-free 25% out of their pension pot. The benefits of doing this include being able to reinvest your money elsewhere in order to try and grow it further, to pay off a mortgage, or to have the freedom to splash out on home improvement, a holiday or anything else you want to treat yourself with. Obviously spending a quarter of your pension fund in one go means that you may have to stretch the rest of your savings to cover your retirement.
Another option is purchasing an annuity with your pension savings. Most annuities provide a guaranteed income until you die, but there are also fixed term annuities which last for a set period of time, or joint annuities which continue to pay a partner or dependant after your death. The main draw of annuities is the security and peace of mind they offer, but it’s essential to shop around for an annuity which gives you a good rate. Annuity rates depend on a number of factors including your age, health and lifestyle, and some are also linked to inflation.
‘Flexi-access drawdown’ is a further option which means you can withdraw your savings as and when you want, taking advantage of the 25% tax-free lump sum and reinvesting the remaining 75%. The advantage here is that you can adjust your income to reflect your needs, allowing as much of your savings as possible to remain invested and grow. The main drawback is that, like all investments, they can shrink as well as grow. Your income is also not guaranteed, and as your savings are finite, you’ll need to be able to support yourself should they be all used up.
With so many options available, the most important thing to remember is not to do anything without fully considering your circumstances. An option which works for one person might be a disastrous choice for another. Before making use of the pension freedoms available to you, seek professional advice and make an informed decision.
20 April 2017
The views expressed in this blog do not in any way constitute advice and are specific to the date noted. As time passes the facts can change and readers should consult their adviser for up to date advice on any matters covered within the blog. Invest Southwest offers an initial review, which is free of charge, however long it takes. From this we will be able to confirm how we can help and give you an opportunity to decide if you would like us to. Thereafter, we will provide you with detailed recommendations and exact costs. Please note that we promise not to levy any kind of fee unless we can demonstrate a benefit to you.
- Keep your Pensions Healthy
- Benefits of having an Independent Financial Adviser
- M&G Wealth Introduce The Passive Model Portfolio Service Range.
- M&G Wealth introduce the Hybrid Model Portfolio Service range.
- Invest Southwest powered by LGT Wealth Management